NextUp Summit 2023 took place in Chicago, September 26-28th. It truly was an outstanding event. 1600 “Boss” women and allies joined in learning, being inspired and uplifted. It’s here that Barbie was given a lifetime membership to NextUp. It’s here where we gained soundbites that challenged, evoked emotions, and built incredible future-forward hope for all attendees. We thank NextUp for outstanding programming, and for choosing speakers with powerful messages. And, we cannot forget the “She Shines” dance party; hundreds of women on the dance floor were a sight! You’ll see a snippet in the video below.
This was the first time (but not the last) that Advantage Solutions, SAS Retail Services included, represented with multiple ambassador delegates. We were joined by our leaders, Dave Peacock, Pamela Morris-Thorton, and Kelli Hammersmith amongst others from the communications team. David’s talk on Wednesday morning embodied a strong message of the importance of relationships and made this ambassador proud to be a member of the enterprise.
There was so much to take in. These were my top 8 takeaways:
- “A unicorn is that leader or person who is the first to… or the only one who… or one of the few who…So find a unicorn, gather them, and bring their uniqueness to the table. Leadership does not have to be done alone.” –Jennifer Weir, Executive Producer/Featured Artist, Finding Her Beat
- “When you switch tracks, you think, ‘I’m behind, and now I have to start over, and that means I’ll be bad at something.’ But we were all bad at what we’re good at now when we first started. When you try something new, it’s going to be tough and scary, and you’re going to do it anyways.” – Laurie Hernandez, Olympic Champion, Author and Mental Health Advocate
- “Never let anyone take your confidence from you. Once you lose your confidence because of something someone said – when your confidence is gone, your courage is gone, and when your courage is gone, your results are gone.” – Fama Francisco, CEO – Global Baby, Feminine and Family Care, Procter & Gamble
- “It’s important to hold onto your dreams and persevere. Bring the right people together and hold onto your idea.” – Tiffany Tamaribuchi, Artistic Director Portland Taiko, Sacramento Taiko Dan & Film Featured Artist
- “We can always do better creating an environment where people have the opportunity to be their best selves, but it’s through the relationships we create with each other that we make it happen.” – Dave Peacock, CEO, Advantage Solutions
- “Some people are scared by other people’s talent and build a group of less talented people around them to feel better about themselves. Elite talent understands that it grows the quickest and the fastest when it’s around other talent. Elite talent is also focused on what’s next and not what’s already been done.” – Coach Kara Lawson
- “What really makes a boss is taking that leap of faith. That takes a boss to do.” – Beverly Johnson CEO, Beverly Johnson Enterprises
- “That relationship that you’re holding onto that is no longer serving you, that job that you’re going to that you don’t like anymore, the friendship, the attitude, the belief that you are holding onto and refusing to change. Behind all of those things is opportunity and the seed for your purpose. It will come into focus, I promise you, if you just take that first step. It doesn’t have to be a huge step. It doesn’t even have to be in the right direction. Just move.” Ericka Prentice, Customer Service Manager, Advantage Solutions
Curious about NextUp? Read more here. Interested in learning about how you can get involved? Reach out to me.
Enjoy the video below.8